Herbert Frederick Grabbe
Herbert Frederick Grabbe
Herbert Frederick “Herb” Grabbe, 88, of Freelandville, passed away on Friday, Nov. 3, 2017 at Good Samaritan Hospital.
Herb was born Aug. 22, 1929, in Freelandville, the son of Louis and Martha (Sager) Grabbe. He married Margie Anna Hall on July 1, 1951. He retired from the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division, after 32 years working as an automotive and diesel mechanic. He served in the U.S. Air Force from 1947 to 1949.
Herb is survived by his children, Robert Grabbe of Bicknell, Mary Romeo and her husband, Michael, of Vincennes, Richard Grabbe of Louisville, Illinois, and Terri Irvin and her husband, Harley of Effingham, Illinois; grandchildren, Robert French and his wife, Heather, Justin French and his wife, Traci, Heather Rosch and her husband, Raymond, Miranda Brandon and her husband, Rocky, Brandy Harting and her husband, Clay, and Eric Irvin and his wife, Chelci; nine great-grandchildren; and a sister, Betty Newell of Greenfield.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Margie, on Jan. 22, 2004; a grandson, Jerrod French; brothers Milton and Melvin Grabbe; and his daughter-in-law, Donna Grabbe.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. on Saturday at Bethel Church with Pastor Mike DeCoursey officiating. He will be laid to rest at Bethel Cemetery. Visitation will be 4-7 p.m. on Friday, at the church with a Masonic Service at 7 p.m. Fredrick and Son McClure-Utt Funeral Home Bicknell Chapel assisted the family with arrangements. Memorial contributions may be made to Bethel Church.
Online condolences may be made at www.fredrickandson.com.
Bilskie, Leonard A. Jr., died Nov. 1. Services: 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday at Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Condolences: www.goodwinfamilyfh.com.
Dare, Edward David, died oct. 27. Services: noon to 4 p.m. on Nov. 18 at 27566 Manchester Circle, Paw Paw. Memorials: Paw Paw Village Players.
Malcolm, John Edward, died Nov. 3. Services: 12:30 p.m. on Monday at Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation: 10 a.m. until noon on Tuesday at Goodwin Funeral Home, 524 Broadway St. Condolences: at www.goodwinfamilyfh.com.
Varns, Ruth Clara, died Oct. 29. Services: 2 p.m. on Tuesday at St John’s United Church of Christ, 606 N. Fifth St. Memorials: St John’s UCC to be designated for Kid’s Hope.
The Sun-Commercial offers both a free and paid obituary option.
Free obituaries are published for current residents of Knox County and Lawrence County, Illinois, and include the following information:
• Name, age, city or town of residence and date of death.
• Occupation or last place of employment if retired.
• Military service.
• Church membership.
• Survivors: Spouse or partner, children, parents, grandparents and siblings, with step- and half-relatives included.
• Time, date and location of visitation, funeral and burial.
• One memorial contribution.
• Web site at which online condolences may be made.
• Free obituaries are available only within two weeks of the date of death.
Paid obituaries may contain additional information and can be published for current as well as former residents of the area. Prepayment may be required for obituaries of former residents from outside the area.
Submitted obituaries will be formatted to comply with both The Sun-Commercial and Associated Press publication styles. An example of the formatting is available upon request.
Additional information included in a paid obituary may include:
• A life history such as date and location of birth, parents’ names, wedding date and spouse’s maiden name, educational attainments (high school, college degrees, etc.), work history, awards and honors received, hobbies and favorite activities, memberships in clubs, organizations and associations, expanded military service record, etc.
• Additional survivors and their spouses, partners or companions (who will be listed as “John Doe and his wife, Jane, of Everytown, Illinois.”).
• Those who preceded the subject in death and their cities or towns of residence if desired.
• Notes of thanks or appreciation to caregivers or facilities.
• Additional memorials.
A photo of the deceased may be added for a $10 charge; a second photo of the deceased may be added for an additional $10. The Sun-Commercial reserves the right not to publish photos of poor quality.
All obituaries will be uploaded to The Sun-Commercial web site at www.suncommercial.com.
Obituary information should be submitted through a funeral home. An individual may submit an obituary but must pay in advance and provide The Sun-Commercial with a copy of the death certificate of the subject.
A cost estimate can be provided in advance of publication upon request.
The deadline for submitting an obituary for Tuesday through Saturday editions is 4 p.m. Eastern time the preceding day; deadline for Sunday editions is 3 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday. Submit obituaries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information contact Gayle R. Robbins at 812-886-9955, ext. 2449 or at email@example.com.