SOUTH BEND — Two adjacent northern Indiana counties have implemented or extended orders requiring people to wear face masks to impede the spread of the coronavirus.

Elkhart County's health officer, Dr. Lydia Mertz announced a new open-ended order beginning Tuesday at 12 a.m. requiring masks when 6-foot social distancing can't be maintained indoors and in outdoor public areas. Also, all employees and customers in local businesses must wear masks, the South Bend Tribune reported.

The county has had nearly 3,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and 42 deaths.

Meanwhile, St. Joseph County's public health officer, Dr. Robert Einterz, extended that county's mask order through Sept. 7.

"Given that there is no vaccine or medication available to prevent or treat COVID-19, measures such as hand hygiene, physical distancing and wearing face coverings are the most effective strategies to reduce the spread of respiratory droplets from infected persons to uninfected person," the county's new mask order states.

The mask order was due to expire Saturday. It requires face coverings for all people inside businesses and enclosed public spaces where social distancing of at least six feet can't be maintained. It exempts people who can't wear face coverings for health reasons.

The order also requires businesses to have hand sanitizer available at entrances for customers.

St. Joseph County has recorded more than 1,800 COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths.

A third northern Indiana county, LaGrange, implemented a mask order two weeks ago.

Gov. Eric Holcomb and other Indiana officials have recommended face masks as a means to slow the spread of COVID-19 but have stopped short of requiring them. Public practice across the state in wearing face masks has been spotty.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says the main purpose of wearing a cloth face covering is to avoid spreading the virus to others. People infected with the virus may not show symptoms for several days.

AMC PUSHES BACK REOPENINGS 2 WEEKS

AMC Theaters, the nation's largest chain, is pushing back its plans to begin reopening theaters by two weeks following the closure because of COVID-19.

The company said Monday that it would open approximately 450 U.S. locations on July 30 and the remaining 150 the following week.

The company had planned to begin opening theaters in mid-July, but last week the July theatrical release calendar was effectively wiped clean when Disney and Warner Bros. decided to delay the releases of "Mulan" and "Tenet" to August dates.

AMC CEO and President Adam Aron said that its general managers across the U.S. started working full time Monday to get their buildings ready to reopen.

"We continue to devote extraordinary resources into our plan to operate our theatres with a hyper commitment to the safety and health of our guests and associates," Aron said in a statement.

Most indoor U.S. theaters have been closed since mid-March because of the coronavirus pandemic. But both independent locations and major chains are readying to reopen within the next month.

However plans could continue to change given the surge of cases in a number of states. Last week, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said New York would delay reopening cinemas while it continued to research the safety of indoor, air-conditioned venues."

AMC expects its approximately 1,000 worldwide locations to be open by early August.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.