Man convicted in teen's slaying takes life in prison
TERRE HAUTE (AP) — A man convicted in the previously unsolved 1998 killing of an Indiana teenager has taken his life in state prison.
The Indiana Department of Corrections says 39-year-old Clinton Bryan Mackey died Saturday in a prison shower at the New Castle Correctional Facility.
The Tribune-Star reports that an autopsy performed Monday determined his manner of death to be suicide caused by asphyxia due to hanging.
The former West Terre Haute man pleaded guilty in January 2015 to voluntary manslaughter in 19-year-old Erika Case's September 1998 stabbing death.
The Vigo County Sheriff's Office had re-investigated the cold case with assistance from a team from TNT's "Cold Justice" television program.
Vigo County Prosecutor Terry Modesitt said Wednesday that it's "unfortunate Clint Mackey chose not to serve his sentence for the murder he committed."
Man charged after tirade at son's school gets probation
SOUTH BEND (AP) — A man who allegedly trying to ram police vehicles responding to his reported tirade at a northern Indiana school in 2017 has been sentenced to probation.
Prosecutors initially charged Melvin D. Ward III with intimidation, resisting law enforcement and attempted battery by means of a deadly weapon. He pleaded guilty but mentally ill in 2018 to intimidation, participated in Veterans Court treatment and this week received the one-year suspended sentence.
The South Bend Tribune reports the felony ended up being treated as misdemeanor.
Officials at Stanley Clark School, the private South Bend school where Ward's son was a student, told police the Mishawaka man was acting unusual Aug. 24, 2017. The school was placed on lockdown. Ward allegedly tried to ram police vehicles outside the school as he was leaving.
Woman who sued Indiana Guard leader criticizes retirement
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A woman says she's upset that the Indiana National Guard's leader was allowed to retire just days after she filed a lawsuit accusing him retaliating against her for reporting his alleged affair with a subordinate.
Adjutant General Courtney Carr submitted his resignation to Gov. Eric Holcomb on Saturday. That followed the lawsuit filed by Shari McLaughlin on Aug. 1 against Carr.
McLaughlin tells WRTV that Carr's retirement is not even a "slap on the wrist." McLaughlin says she lost her career over false accusations and intimidation from Carr that forced her from contractor jobs with the National Guard in 2017 and 2018.
The governor's office declined to respond to McLaughlin's remarks. Deputy Attorney General Benjamin Ellis is representing Carr and declined to comment on the allegations.
Man sentenced to 50 years in businessman's killing
JEFFERSONVILLE (AP) — A man who pleaded guilty in the slaying of southern Indiana businessman during a robbery has been sentenced to 50 years in prison.
The News and Tribune reports 36-year-old Antonio J. McRae learned his sentence Thursday in a Clark County courtroom. A plea agreement called for a term of 45-65 years in prison.
McRae was arrested in December in connection with the fatal October shooting of 49-year-old Praful Patel. McRae had told reporters he had planned to rob Patel but not to kill him.
Patel was killed while working at the Stop N Go convenience store that he and his wife owned in Jeffersonville.
McRae's attorney, Dave Mosley, has said McRae is remorseful and "feels horrible for Mr. Patel's family."