Truck driver charged after crash injures hockey players
WARSAW — A New York truck driver faces more than two dozen felony charges following a weekend collision in northern Indiana between his semitrailer and a Chicago youth hockey team’s bus that injured 16 of the student athletes, authorities said.
Victor Santos, 58, of Brooklyn, New York, is charged in Kosciusko County with four counts of causing serious bodily injury while operating a vehicle while intoxicated, and 22 counts of criminal recklessness while armed with a deadly weapon, the Warsaw Police Department said Monday.
Warsaw police Captain Brad Kellar said authorities are “recognizing the operation of a semi-tractor trailer in this manner as the deadly weapon.”
Santos faces one count for each of the 26 people who were on the bus carrying hockey players and coaches from Chicago’s St. Ignatius College Prep when Saturday night’s crash occurred in Warsaw.
The junior varsity youth hockey team was playing in a tournament in nearby Culver when the semitrailer driven by Santos collided with the team bus, which flipped onto its side, injuring 16 student members of the hockey team.
Two of the hockey players remained hospitalized Monday, while the remaining 14 players had been treated and released, school officials said.
At the time of the crash, the hockey team was headed to a hotel after having dinner in Warsaw, located about 120 miles southeast of Chicago, police said.
The bus was carrying the driver, two coaches and 23 students who ranged in ages from 14 and 17 years old, police have said.
2 inmates recaptured after walking away from prison
NEW CASTLE — Two inmates were captured after they walked away from a minimum-security housing unit on the campus of an eastern Indiana prison Monday, the Indiana Department of Correction said.
Austin Bolton, 20, and Keegan Brooks, 19, left the unit at the New Castle Correctional Facility around 5 p.m. and were found about two hours later and taken into custody, the DOC said.
More from this section
Bolton was sentenced to prison in July on one count of burglary,the Doc said. His expected release date was May 2024.
Brooks was sentenced on in September on one count of possession of a narcotic drug, the department said. His expected release date was March 2027.
The unit they walked away from is located outside of the secure facility and houses low-level individuals.
A prosecutor will decide if the men will face additional charges, the DOC said.
Police: 4-year-old boy fatally shot inside Muncie home
MUNCIE — A 4-year-old child boy after being shot Monday at a home in Muncie in the second fatal shooting of a young child in the city in less than four months, police said.
Officers responded to a home on the city’s southeast side shortly after noon, police said. The boy died at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital.
The mother of the boy and her boyfriend face preliminary charges of neglect of a dependent and neglect of a dependent resulting in death.
A police news release did not indicate the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
A 5-year-old Muncie girl was fatally shot in the head July 26 after her 6-year-old brother removed a loaded handgun from a safe in their parents’ bedroom and shot her.
Hoffman later charged both of the parents with neglect of a dependent resulting in death.