The following information comes from reports provided by the Vincennes Police Department, the Vincennes Fire Department, the Knox County Sheriff’s Department, the Lawrence County, Illinois, Sheriff’s Department, the Washington City Police Department or the Daviess County Sheriff’s Department as well as The Associated Press. Charges not involving warrants are preliminary and may be changed before formal filing by a prosecutor.
Washington man killed in Jeep-moped crash
A Washington man was killed when the moped he was riding on was struck by a truck while traveling on U.S. 41.
According to the Indiana State Police, on Oct. 3 at approximately 9:46 p.m., Kayla Jones, 26, of Bicknell, was driving her 2015 Jeep Cherokee and had just entered U.S. 41 North from Willow Street. She traveled approximately 1,700 feet in the driving lane before colliding into the rear of a 2019 Kymco Agility moped. The passenger on the moped, Skylar Newton, 21, of Washington, died at the scene. He was not wearing a helmet. The operator of the moped, Robert Vaquero, 22, of Huntingburg, was initially taken to Good Samaritan Hospital but he was later airlifted to St. Vincent Hospital in Evansville where he was being treated for serious injuries. Vaquero was also not wearing a helmet. Jones was not injured.
According to investigating officer, ISP Trooper Brock Buchanan, Jones did not see the moped until just prior to the collision. Troopers inspected the moped and determined that the rear taillight was not illuminated at the time of the crash.
Assisting at the scene were Sgt. Bill Gadberry, Trooper Nick Hatfield and Master Trooper Randy Huddleston of the Indiana State Police and the Knox County Sheriff’s Department, the Vincennes Township Fire Department and the Knox County Coroner’s Office.
Knox County Arrests
• Sarah Brooke Owens, 26, of Vincennes, failure to appear
• Jerald Allen Coffman, 36, of Vincennes, failure to appear; possession of a legend drug; possession of paraphernalia
• Corey Adam Ridgley, 38, of Washington, driving with a suspended license
• Melissa Ann Doyle, 37 of Bridgeport, Illinois, operating a vehicle while intoxicated; possession of marijuana; out-of-county warrant
• Joshua Glenn Shaner, 35, of Vincennes, 5-day hold
• Dusty Cunningham, 38, of Vincennes, failure to appear
• Tina Marie Beard, 58, of Vincennes, operating a vehicle while intoxicated
• April Anne Bass, 49, no address, out-of-county warrant
• Cody Allen Davis, 26, of Bicknell, driving with a suspended license
• James C. Styer, 22, of Bloomington, acquiring a controlled substance by misrepresentation; theft
• Karson A. Smith, 18, of Vincennes, failure to appear
• Ernest Lavern Chase, 53, of Vincennes, domestic battery; strangulation; criminal confinement
• Dylan Morgan Thompson, 28, Freelandville, contempt of court
• James Leroy Linn Beamon, 27, of Vincennes, contempt of court
• Preston Lee Matteson, 32, of Washington, theft
• Tabetha Lynn Williams, 41, of Vincennes, operating a vehicle while intoxicated; disorderly conduct; public intoxication