The following information comes from reports provided by the Vincennes Police Department, the Vincennes Fire Department, the Knox County Sheriff’s Department, the Lawrence County, Illinois, Sheriff’s Department, the Washington City Police Department or the Daviess County Sheriff’s Department as well as The Associated Press. Charges not involving warrants are preliminary and may be changed before formal filing by a prosecutor.
Washington man injured in crash
By The Sun-Commercial
A Washington man was seriously injured after being ejected from his vehicle and run over by another vehicle on Tuesday morning on U.S. 41 south of Camp Arthur Road.
Kayden Riggins, 21, was being treated at St. Vincent Hospital in Evansville after being airlifted there following the accident, which occurred around 9:37 a.m. Tuesday, according to the Indiana State Police.
Police say Riggins was driving a 2005 Nissan at a high rate of speed while traveling south on the highway when he approached a 1996 Mercury being driven by Nelda Rae Eaden, 83, of Vincennes, traveling in the right lane approximately 300 feet south of Camp Arthur Road. Riggins lost control of his vehicle when he moved into the passing lane to go around Eaden's car. Riggins’ car re-entered the right lane in front of the Mercury and then struck the guardrail on the west side of the road.
Eaden observed the vehicle strike the guardrail in front of her and attempted to avoid striking the vehicle by driving into the passing lane. Riggins was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle and thrown into the passing lane where Eaden’s vehicle drove over him and dragged him nearly 160 feet before she was able to stop her vehicle in the median.
Riggins' front seat passenger was buckled up and was not injured.
Eaden was not injured.
The investigation led by ISP Master Trooper Jim Dotson and assisted by ISP Sergeants Kylen Compton and Bill Gadberry and Master Trooper Randy Huddleston, is continuing.
Knox County Arrests
• Cassandra Elizabeth Cooper, 28, no address, criminal trespass
• William Allen Oliver, 43, of Vincennes, battery
• Steven Matthew Durham, 34, of Vincennes, writ of attachment
• Wykeia Markai Collins, 22, of Evansville, driving with a suspended license
• Gregory Scott Tapley, 50, of Vincennes, Daviess County warrants (2); possession of methamphetamine
• Dylan James Cates, 26, of Vincennes, basic theft
• Kevin Alton Walker, 24, of Bicknell, battery
• James Samuel Junkin, 54, of Vincennes, child molesting
• Jimmy Dewayne Eaton, 43, of Washington, basic theft; out-of-county warrant