Geneva A. Smith
Geneva A. Smith
Geneva A. Smith, 89, of Vincennes, passed away at 11:45 a.m. on Thursday, June 27, 2019 at Good Samaritan Hospital.
Geneva was born on March 1, 1930 in Princeton, the daughter of Arthur and Julia Mae (Arthur) Crowe. She worked at Hamilton Glass for several years and was one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. She also loved to crochet in her spare time.
Survivors include her son, Mark Smith of Vincennes; her daughter, Judy Lovett and her husband, Mark ,of Vincennes; half-brothers Tom Crowe, David Crowe and Ralph Crowe; half-sisters Sally Christian, Molly Parker, and Donna Robling; her sister-in-law, Joyce Crow; one grandchild; four great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; and her nephew, Doug Crow.
Geneva was preceded in death by her parents; her son, Mike Smith; and her brother, Bob Crow.
Funeral services will be 2 p.m. on Tuesday at Goodwin Funeral Home, 524 Broadway St., with Mark Lovett officiating. Burial will take place at Hazleton Cemetery at a later date. Visitation will be 1 p.m. until the hour of services on Tuesday at the funeral home. Goodwin Funeral Home is honored to assist the Smith family with arrangements.
Online memories may be shared with Geneva’s family and friends at www.goodwinfamilyfh.com.
Cates, Gary R., died June 26. Services: 10 a.m. on Monday at Goodwin Funeral Home, 524 Broadway St. Burial: Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation: 2-6 p.m. on Sunday at the funeral home.
Deerhake, Mary Anne, died June 23. Burial: 2 p.m. today at First Church of New Knoxville, Ohio.
Kiteka, Crystal, died June 25. Services: 2 p.m. today at Memorial Park Cemetery. Condolences: www.fredrickandson.com.
Newton, Charles K., died June 21. Services: 10 a.m. on Monday at St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Petersburg. Burial: 1 p.m. on Tuesday at the Marion National Cemetery in Marion. Visitation: 5-8 p.m. on Sunday at Duesterberg-Fredrick Funeral Home, 521 Vigo St. Memorials: “Toys for Tots” through the funeral home. Condolences: www.duesterbergfredrick.com.
Thompson, Patricia D., died June 25. Services: 10 a.m. today at Duesterberg-Fredrick Wampler Shaw Chapel in Bicknell. Burial: Bicknell Memorial Cemetery. Memorials: Welch Diabetes Center at Good Samaritan Hospital or the National Kidney Foundation. Condolences: www.duesterbergfredrick.com.
Obituary information should be submitted through a funeral home. An individual may submit an obituary but must pay in advance and provide The Sun-Commercial with a copy of the death certificate of the subject.
A cost estimate can be provided in advance of publication upon request.
The deadline for submitting an obituary for Tuesday through Friday editions is 4 p.m. Eastern time the preceding day. The deadline for Saturday editions will be 5 p.m. on the preceding Friday.
Submit obituaries at email@example.com.
The Sun-Commercial offers both a free and paid obituary option.
Free obituaries are published for current residents of Knox County and Lawrence County, Illinois, and include the following information:
• Name, age, city or town of residence and date of death.
• Occupation or last place of employment if retired.
• Military service.
• Church membership.
• Survivors: Spouse or partner, children, parents, and siblings, with step- and half-relatives included.
• Time, date and location of visitation, funeral and burial.
• One memorial contribution.
• Web site at which online condolences may be made.
• Free obituaries are available only within two weeks of the date of death.
Paid obituaries may contain additional information and can be published for current as well as former residents of the area. Prepayment may be required for obituaries of former residents from outside the area.
Submitted obituaries will be formatted to comply with both The Sun-Commercial and Associated Press publication styles. An example of the formatting is available upon request.
Additional information included in a paid obituary may include:
• A life history such as date and location of birth, parents' names, wedding date and spouse's maiden name, educational attainments (high school, college degrees, etc.), work history, awards and honors received, hobbies and favorite activities, memberships in clubs, organizations and associations, expanded military service record, etc.
• Additional survivors and their spouses, partners or companions (who will be listed as "John Doe and his wife, Jane, of Everytown, Illinois.").
• Those who preceded the subject in death and their cities or towns of residence if desired.
• Notes of thanks or appreciation to caregivers or facilities.
• Additional memorials.
A photo of the deceased may be added for a $10 charge; a second photo of the deceased may be added for an additional $10. The Sun-Commercial reserves the right not to publish photos of poor quality or that are in bad taste.
Obituaries will be uploaded to The Sun-Commercial web site at www.suncommercial.com.
For more information contact Gayle R. Robbins at 812-886-9955, ext. 2449 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.