Royice Lee Merce, Jonas N. Schrock
Royice Lee Mercer
Royice Lee Mercer, 78, of Vincennes, died on Tuesday, June 18, 2019.
He was a U.S. Army veteran.
Survivors include his daughter, Anna Collins, and his sons, Richard Mercer, Andy Mercer, and Ed Mercer.
Private services were held. Memorial contributions may be made to the donor’s charity of choice. Duesterberg-Fredrick Funeral Home is honored to assist the Mercer family during their time of loss.
Online condolences may be made at www.duesterbergfredrick.com
Jonas N. Schrock
Jonas N. Schrock, 92, of Elnora, went to Heaven on Thursday, June 20, 2019, at his residence surrounded by his loving family.
He was born on May 11, 1927 in Orrville, Ohio, the son of Noah J. and Emma J. (Miller) Schrock. Jonas married Anna Viola Yoder on Nov. 22, 1956. Jonas was ordained a minister in 1960 and ordained a bishop in 1961. He was a member of Mount Joy Mennonite Church. He loved the church and served the congregation until the age of 80. He was known by many as a brick mason who was missing a thumb and fingers on his left hand.
Family left behind to cherish the memory of Jonas include three sons, Olen Schrock and his wife, Juanita, of Elnora, Thomas Schrock and his wife, Fae, of Elnora, and Marvin Schrock and his wife, Pam, of Sterling, Alaska; two daughters, Mary Esther Schrock of Elnora and Arlene Rhodes and her husband, Luke, of Newberry; one daughter-in-law, Fan Schrock of Loogootee; four sisters, Maryann Hershberger, Katie Rouse, Emma Shelter, and Viola Spence; sisters-in-law Esther Schrock, Sarah McGuire, and Lydiann Yoder; 24 grandchildren; and 21 great-grandchildren.
Jonas was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Anna Viola Schrock in December 2005; a son, Stephen Schrock in May 2017; two brothers, Pete and Levi Schrock; and five sisters, Edna, Dinah, and Ella Mae Schrock, Lena Jackson, and Polly Garver.
Funeral services will be 9:30 a.m. on Monday at the Simon J. Graber Complex near Odon with James Yoder officiating. Interment will be in Mount Joy Cemetery in Raglesville. Family and friends may call from 2-4 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. both today and Sunday at the complex. All arrangements have been entrusted to Meng Family Funeral Home in Odon.
Online condolences may be made at www.mengfuneralhome.com.
Obituary information should be submitted through a funeral home. An individual may submit an obituary but must pay in advance and provide The Sun-Commercial with a copy of the death certificate of the subject.
A cost estimate can be provided in advance of publication upon request.
The deadline for submitting an obituary for Tuesday through Friday editions is 4 p.m. Eastern time the preceding day. The deadline for Saturday editions will be 5 p.m. on the preceding Friday.
Submit obituaries at email@example.com.
The Sun-Commercial offers both a free and paid obituary option.
Free obituaries are published for current residents of Knox County and Lawrence County, Illinois, and include the following information:
• Name, age, city or town of residence and date of death.
• Occupation or last place of employment if retired.
• Military service.
• Church membership.
• Survivors: Spouse or partner, children, parents, and siblings, with step- and half-relatives included.
• Time, date and location of visitation, funeral and burial.
• One memorial contribution.
• Web site at which online condolences may be made.
• Free obituaries are available only within two weeks of the date of death.
Paid obituaries may contain additional information and can be published for current as well as former residents of the area. Prepayment may be required for obituaries of former residents from outside the area.
Submitted obituaries will be formatted to comply with both The Sun-Commercial and Associated Press publication styles. An example of the formatting is available upon request.
Additional information included in a paid obituary may include:
• A life history such as date and location of birth, parents' names, wedding date and spouse's maiden name, educational attainments (high school, college degrees, etc.), work history, awards and honors received, hobbies and favorite activities, memberships in clubs, organizations and associations, expanded military service record, etc.
• Additional survivors and their spouses, partners or companions (who will be listed as "John Doe and his wife, Jane, of Everytown, Illinois.").
• Those who preceded the subject in death and their cities or towns of residence if desired.
• Notes of thanks or appreciation to caregivers or facilities.
• Additional memorials.
A photo of the deceased may be added for a $10 charge; a second photo of the deceased may be added for an additional $10. The Sun-Commercial reserves the right not to publish photos of poor quality or that are in bad taste.
Obituaries will be uploaded to The Sun-Commercial web site at www.suncommercial.com.
For more information contact Gayle R. Robbins at 812-886-9955, ext. 2449 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.