Shirley A. Benson
Shirley A. Benson
Shirley A. Benson, 85, of rural Lawrenceville, Illinois, passed away on Friday, June 26, 2020.
She was born to Edgar and Blanche (Williams) Cooper on May 29, 1935. On Sept. 5, 1954, she married Larry W. Benson. Shirley was a farm wife and a member of the Central Christian Church in Lawrenceville. She enjoyed listening to country music. Shirley will be remembered as a wonderful, kind, and compassionate mom, grandma, and great-grandma. She had such a kind spirit and was so easy to talk to. Family members will miss the times Shirley would listen and offer a solution. Her kind soul was an asset that will truly be missed.
Shirley is survived by her children, Sheila K. Foreman, Raeshelle Painter and her husband, Lawrence, Larry Benson II, Doug Benson and his wife, Julie, and Tom Benson and his wife, Chrissy; eight grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
Shirley was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Larry; her daughter, Vickie Fuller; her son-in-law, Jay Foreman; and her great-grandson, Anthony Chisolm.
Funeral services were Tuesday at the Emmons-Macey & Steffey Funeral Home. Burial was in the Memorial Park Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Please visit www.emmonsmaceysteffey.com to view the tribute and to send condolences.
Bootman, Michael A., died June 25. Services: 1 p.m. CDT on Friday at the Emmons-Macey & Steffey Funeral Home in Lawrenceville, Illinois, and available for viewing on the funeral home’s Facebook page. Burial: May Chapel Cemetery. Visitation: 11 a.m. CDT until the hour of services on Friday at the funeral home. Memorials: Lawrence County Cancer Resource Center and Wig Shoppe. Condolences: www.emmonsmaceysteffey.com.
Elliott, Sharon A., died June 26. Services: 11 a.m. CDT today at Hazleton Community Cemetery.
McGregor, Bruce Daniel, died June 27. Services: 2 p.m. today at Fredrick and Son McClure-Utt Funeral Homes, Vincennes Chapel, 313 Church St. Burial: Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation: 10 a.m. until the hour of services today at the funeral home. Memorials: American Diabetes Association, Suite 900, 2451 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202. Condolences: www.fredrickandson.com.
Obituary information should be submitted through a funeral home. An individual may submit an obituary but must pay in advance and provide The Sun-Commercial with a copy of the death certificate of the subject.
A cost estimate can be provided in advance of publication upon request.
The deadline for submitting an obituary for Tuesday through Friday editions is 4 p.m. Eastern time the preceding day. The deadline for Saturday editions will be 5 p.m. on the preceding Friday.
Submit obituaries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sun-Commercial offers both a free and paid obituary option.
Free obituaries are published for current residents of Knox County and Lawrence County, Illinois, and include the following information:
• Name, age, city or town of residence and date of death.
• Occupation or last place of employment if retired.
• Military service.
• Church membership.
• Survivors: Spouse or partner, children, parents, and siblings, with step- and half-relatives included.
• Time, date and location of visitation, funeral and burial.
• One memorial contribution.
• Web site at which online condolences may be made.
• Free obituaries are available only within two weeks of the date of death.
Paid obituaries may contain additional information and can be published for current as well as former residents of the area. Prepayment may be required for obituaries of former residents from outside the area.
Submitted obituaries will be formatted to comply with both The Sun-Commercial and Associated Press publication styles. An example of the formatting is available upon request.
Additional information included in a paid obituary may include:
• A life history such as date and location of birth, parents' names, wedding date and spouse's maiden name, educational attainments (high school, college degrees, etc.), work history, awards and honors received, hobbies and favorite activities, memberships in clubs, organizations and associations, expanded military service record, etc.
• Additional survivors and their spouses, partners or companions (who will be listed as "John Doe and his wife, Jane, of Everytown, Illinois.").
• Those who preceded the subject in death and their cities or towns of residence if desired.
• Notes of thanks or appreciation to caregivers or facilities.
• Additional memorials.
A photo of the deceased may be added for a $10 charge; a second photo of the deceased may be added for an additional $10. The Sun-Commercial reserves the right not to publish photos of poor quality or that are in bad taste.
Obituaries will be uploaded to The Sun-Commercial web site at www.suncommercial.com.
For more information contact Gayle R. Robbins at 812-886-9955, ext. 2449 or at email@example.com.