Orval J. Umfleet
Orval J. Umfleet
Orval J. Umfleet, 68, of Vincennes, has passed away.
Orval was born on Aug. 3, 1951 in Vincennes, the son of Frank W. and Nellie Morgan Umfleet. A 1970 graduate of Central Catholic/Rivet High School, Orval served his community as a firefighter for the City of Vincennes for over 28 years. He was the owner of Ft. Sackville Guns, a member of St. John Catholic Church, member of the Knights of Columbus where he served as trustee, The Harmony Society, the National Rifle Association, the Knox County Gun Club, and enjoyed going to various casinos. He was a gentle, fun-loving person who always was there for his family and friends.
Orval is survived by his family, Shawn Bottoms and his companion, Leda, Rob Risley and his wife, Julie, Judy Sweetnam and her husband, Norm, Mike Richardville Jr., and Mark Blackburn all of Vincennes, and Andrea Horbison of Nashville, Tennessee. He is also survived by several cousins on both the Morgan and Umfleet families.
Orval was preceded in death by his parents, Frank and Nellie Umfleet; his sister, Francis Umfleet; and his longtime companion, Jackie Shafer who was the love of his life.
Graveside services will be Monday at Mount Calvary Cemetery on with Father Tony Ernst officiating. He will be laid to rest next to his parents and sister. Memorial contributions can be made to the Knights of Columbus Council 712. Duesterberg-Fredrick Funeral Home is honored to assist Orval’s family during their time of loss.
Cato-Loveman, Cynthia Lynn, died March 31. Private graveside services will be held at Memorial Park Cemetery. Condolences: www.fredrickandson.com.
Obituary information should be submitted through a funeral home. An individual may submit an obituary but must pay in advance and provide The Sun-Commercial with a copy of the death certificate of the subject.
A cost estimate can be provided in advance of publication upon request.
The deadline for submitting an obituary for Tuesday through Friday editions is 4 p.m. Eastern time the preceding day. The deadline for Saturday editions will be 5 p.m. on the preceding Friday.
Submit obituaries at email@example.com.
The Sun-Commercial offers both a free and paid obituary option.
Free obituaries are published for current residents of Knox County and Lawrence County, Illinois, and include the following information:
• Name, age, city or town of residence and date of death.
• Occupation or last place of employment if retired.
• Military service.
• Church membership.
• Survivors: Spouse or partner, children, parents, and siblings, with step- and half-relatives included.
• Time, date and location of visitation, funeral and burial.
• One memorial contribution.
• Web site at which online condolences may be made.
• Free obituaries are available only within two weeks of the date of death.
Paid obituaries may contain additional information and can be published for current as well as former residents of the area. Prepayment may be required for obituaries of former residents from outside the area.
Submitted obituaries will be formatted to comply with both The Sun-Commercial and Associated Press publication styles. An example of the formatting is available upon request.
Additional information included in a paid obituary may include:
• A life history such as date and location of birth, parents' names, wedding date and spouse's maiden name, educational attainments (high school, college degrees, etc.), work history, awards and honors received, hobbies and favorite activities, memberships in clubs, organizations and associations, expanded military service record, etc.
• Additional survivors and their spouses, partners or companions (who will be listed as "John Doe and his wife, Jane, of Everytown, Illinois.").
• Those who preceded the subject in death and their cities or towns of residence if desired.
• Notes of thanks or appreciation to caregivers or facilities.
• Additional memorials.
A photo of the deceased may be added for a $10 charge; a second photo of the deceased may be added for an additional $10. The Sun-Commercial reserves the right not to publish photos of poor quality or that are in bad taste.
Obituaries will be uploaded to The Sun-Commercial web site at www.suncommercial.com.
For more information contact Gayle R. Robbins at 812-886-9955, ext. 2449 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.