Xenia, Ill., couple are male, female winners at 13th annual event
After the 2018 version of TRY Knox County dealt with a lengthy weather delay, the 13th annual event went off without a hitch at Gregg Park on Sunday.
Cody Burnett improved his time from a year ago and successfully defended his male triathlon title, and his wife Alyssa Burnett joined him in the winner's circle as the female triathlon champion.
It's the first time that a married couple has won the TRY. The Burnetts, both of Xenia, Ill., saw significant decreases in their times, as did several others finishing near the top. Cody Burnett was a winner in 46.16.2, besting his winning time of a year ago of 47:00.6. Alyssa Burnett, a runner-up a year ago, finished Sunday in 52:30.6, over three minutes quicker than last year's mark.
Jason Luchtefeld of Robinson, Ill., was the second men's finisher, nearly five minutes behind Burnett, while Caleb Fell of Paducah, Ky., was third, 30 seconds behind Luchtefeld. A pair of Olney, Ill., competitors were second and third on the women's side. Kate Patterson was nearly two minutes behind Burnett at 54:18.2, and Leah Shan was over a minute behind her.
Though no rain or storms threatened the TRY on Sunday, the sky remained mostly overcast throughout the event, which helped counter the humid conditions that are typical this time of year.
“I'm so thankful we didn't have to contend with the weather this year,” TRY co-director Karen Lane said. “I received the all-clear radio message early (Sunday) morning, so I really didn't have to give (the weather) another thought.
“As always, we're grateful for the efforts of the Vincennes Parks Department for their involvement in this event. It's a perfect complement to their Fitness Initiative.”
Lane also noted that 129 were registered for the triathlon or duathlon, and that a personal highlight for her was getting to medal her daughter, Brianna Webb, who was a member of the winning women's triathlon team, Jenny and the Jets. Karen Winkles of Olney, who has been involved with the TRY in some form or another for many years, served as the Last to TRY.
Triathlon participants began with a 200-meter swim at Rainbow Beach Aquatics Center, then followed the biking route out of Gregg Park toward Old Highway 50 to Frichton and back, before trekking the 5K path around half the park, through the heights and Franklin Elementary and back.
Female age group winners for the triathlon were Kylie Osborne, Haubstadt, 19-and-under; Daniela Schurter, Oakland City, 20-24; Katie Vanhoy, Washington, 30-34; Kara Doyle, Vincennes, 35-39; Athena Benson, Vincennes, 40-44; Michelle Dellinger, Vincennes, 45-49; Debbie Elbrink, Evansville, 50-54; Carmen Horton, Vincennes, 55-59; and Cendy Joslin, Bicknell, 60-and-over.
Male age group triathlon winners were Josh Kramer, Haubstadt, 19-and-under; Joseph Bobe, Olney, Ill., 20-24; Tanner Hoke, Evansville, 25-29; Eric Stidman, Terre Haute, 30-34; Shane Voegerl, Evansville, 35-39; Luisito Sebastian, Newburgh, 40-44; Robert Fell, Paducah, Ky., 45-49; Doug Hortin, Albion, Ill., 50-54; Christopher Eubank, Olney, Ill., 55-59; Donald Berg, Prospect, Ky., 60-64; and John Ryder, Vincennes, 65-and-over.
Chad Goldsmith of Evansville was the male duathlon winner in 1:05.52, and Kamy Reese of Princeton was the female winner in 1:50.23.
“We are looking forward to TRY 2020 on June 14th (next year),” Lane said. “Our focus, as always, will be on building participation by helping people understand this event is possible with a bit of preparation. Also, our focus will be team building. For people who want to be involved in a smaller way, being a part of a team is a great alternative and is so much fun.”
TRY KNOX COUNTY RESULTS
Overall and age group winners in the 13th annual TRY Knox County at Gregg Park Sunday:
1. Cody Burnett, Xenia, Ill., 46:16; 2. Jason Luchtefeld, Robinson, Ill., 51:05; Caleb Fell, Paducah, Ky., 51:35.
Alyssa Burnett, Xenia, Ill., 52:30; 2. Kate Patterson, Olney, Ill., 54:18; 3. Leah Shan, Olney, Ill., 55:37.
1. Josh Kramer, Haubstadt, 59:59; 2. Zach Kirchoff, Monroe City, 1:04:32; 3. Ryan Smith, Olney, Ill., 1:08:53; 4. Cordell McCoy, Monroe City, 1:19:57.
1. Kylie Osborne, Haubstadt, 1:09:35.
1. Joseph Bobe, Olney, Ill., 1:03:36; 2. Cole Kirchoff, Monroe City, 1:04:35; 3. Louis Hoover, Fort Branch, 1:18:58.
1. Daniela Schurter, Oakland City, 1:18:51.
1. Tanner Hoke, Evansville, 1:20:50; 2. Joshua Jones, Vincennes, 1:24:00; 3. Matthew Mounlio, Haubstadt, 1:32:41.
1. Eric Stidman, Terre Haute, 1:11:40; 2. Jon Lacky, Bridgeport, Ill., 1:17:20; 3. Matthew Goetz, Evansville, 1:50:42.
1. Katie Vanhoy, Washington, 1:18:50.
1. Shane Voegerl, Evansville, 1:03:20; 2. Brian Doyle, Vincennes, 1:15:41; 3. Jacob Jones, Vincennes, 1:26:56; 4. Travis Arvin, Evansville, 1:48:52.
1. Kara Doyle, Vincennes, 1:03:03; 2. Andrea Holscher, Vincennes, 1:05:22; 3. Linzie Gafner, Vincennes, 1:11:21; 4. Renee Richardville, Vincennes, 1:12:31; 5. Sheri Faulkenberg, Westfield, 1:15:33; 6. Leah Gehring, Carmel, 1:15:37; 7. Terri Conley, Terre Haute, 1:18:55; 8. Amrita Khurana, Vincennes, 1:38:29.
1. Luisito Sebastian, Newburgh, 58:54.
1. Athena Benson, Vincennes, 1:05:46; 2. Rebecca Richardville, Palestine, Ill., 1:07:14.
1. Robert Fell, Paducah, Ky., 57:38; 2. Chris Haaff, Woodstock, Ill., 59:06; 3. Aaron Schnelle, Vincennes, 1:05:11; 4. Baxter Dellinger, Vincennes, 1:10:10; 5. Christopher Majors, Paoli, 1:18:36; 6. Daniel Adams, Fort Branch, 1:26:32.
1. Michelle Dellinger, Vincennes, 1:08:53; 2. Jenny Hortin, Albion, Ill., 1:08:56; 3. Marcy Hays, Vincennes, 1:15:15; 4. Kathy Jones, Vincennes, 1:18:50; 5. Crescent Devenport, Jackson, Mo., 1:23:18; 6. Lizabeth Hoover, Fort Branch, 1:24:07; 7. Susan Miller, Vincennes, 1:27:07; 8. Traci Letourneau, Loogootee, 1:30:55; 9. Windsong McCoy, Monroe City, 1:35:36.
1. Doug Hortin, Albion, Ill., 54:06; 2. Dan Yochum, Bicknell, 1:07:02; 3. Larry McCoy, Monroe City, 1:23:45.
1. Debbie Elbrink, Evansville, 1:15:08; 2. Denice Smith, Olney, Ill., 1:20:16; 3. Beth Robinson, Vincennes, 1:24:33; 4. Liz Jacqmain, Vincennes, 1:24:57; 5. Cindy Erdos, Lake Zurich, Ill., 1:47:33; 6. Natalie Graves, Vincennes, 1:47:49.
1. Christopher Eubank, Olney, Ill., 57:44; 2. Mark Goodrich, Vincennes, 58:12; 3. Rob McLin, Bruceville, 1:04:26; 4. Kevin Meyer, Monroe City, 1:15:36; 5. Mark Devenport, Jackson, Mo., 1:16:02.
1. Carmen Horton, Vincennes, 1:13:11; 2. Beth Jenkins, Richmond, Ky., 1:13:27; 3. Beth Shan, Noble, Ill., 1:15:55; 4. Laura DeBrock, Vincennes, 1:20:20; 5. Beth Meyer, Monroe City, 1:26:30.
1. Donald Berg, Prospect, Ky., 1:04:15.
1. Cendy Joslin, Bicknell, 1:15:38; 2. Phyllis Holscher, Monroe City, 1:16:01; 3. Mary Hazelman, Vincennes, 1:20:56; 4. Betsy Marchino, Bruceville, 1:24:48; 5. Marilyn Fulling, Palestine, Ill., 1:26:47.
1. John Ryder, Vincennes, 1:07:23; 2. Mark Hill, Vincennes, 1:58:48.
1. Jenny and the Jets, Bruceville, 1:00:39; 2. Las Tres Amigas, Monroe City, 1:10:52.
1. Y's Guys, Washington, 54:57
1. Gin and Juice, Vincennes, 1:02:21; 2. Super Duo, 1:06:46; 3. Perrot Pedal Power, Bicknell, 1:42:46.
1. The Three Musketeers, Vincennes, 1:19:31; 2. #TeamWalker, Mount Carmel, Ill., 1:31:35; 3. Henning, Odon, 1:47:12.
1. Chad Goldsmith, Evansville, 1:05:52; 2. Alex Meyer, Haubstadt, 1:22:45; 3. Tom Kramer, Haubstadt, 1:22:51; 4. Mitch Wilkerson, Newburgh, 1:23:10; 5. Bill Davis, Vincennes, 1:33:33.
1. Kamy Reese, Princeton, 1:50:20.
1. Team Thomas, Evansville, 1:10:53.
1. Team Mykayla/Nolan, Vincennes, 1:26:21.